Friday, November 23, 2007

All Hail The Queen




In October I went to see Queen Latifah in her Trav'lin' Light concert.
She sang well and was a definite crowd pleaser at the House of Blues in Atlantic City. She performed covers of Donny Hathaway with"Gone Away" as well as an upbeat Nina Simone number. Highlights of the show included the reflective song from "Hairspray", called "I Know where I've been". On songs like "Baby Get Lost" and the beautiful "Georgia Rose", with inspiring lines such as , "don't be blue 'cause you're black" her range and spirit shined through. We have some idea of where Queen Latifah has been. I can't say that when I first watched her old classic video for "U.N.I.T.Y" or her urban heist film "Set it Off" I knew she would become a Jazz, pop, and soul singer starring it hit film adaptations of musicals.

Her band was great and the presence she had on stage marks as a true performer. Talking with the audience and bringing her father onstage marked her as a true Queen. When the show had ended the audience erupted into loud cheers and a standing ovation as she exited the stage. Of course the Queen came back out to sing!





2 comments:

Nai. said...

I love Queen Latifah! I bet would've loved it!

<3 (this is Naima btw)

Simone Says said...

:) Thanks for commenting.

Powered By Blogger
 
eXTReMe Tracker